SAPFA Speed Rally at Springs airfield

All about sport and recreational flying.
Athol Terence
Silver 2 - 50 Posts
Silver 2 - 50 Posts

SAPFA Speed Rally at Springs airfield

Post by Athol Terence » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:50 am

I visited Springs airfield on Friday evening to be involved in the build-up process staged by Johnty Esser where race numbers were handed out to the 30 teams that participated. This was a rather different event that had been well-prepared with a delicious meal and refreshments. The single largest group of competitors came from the flight instructors of March 1 Flying School resident at Springs airfield.

Rob Jonkers explained the rules of the ‘Speed Rally’, which simply put is somewhat of a blend of a dedicated navigation rally and a handicapped air race. Whilst accurate navigation together with ground based pictures is an essential part of the event, this is also a time trial over the course where the slowest aircraft take-off first and the faster aircraft have to catch up on the course. The idea is that if the course is flown accurately then all 30 aircraft should cross the finish line at the same time. The field for this event was restricted to a maximum of 30 crews being the pilot and navigator.

My son Marc flew to Springs with me on Saturday morning in my shared Cessna 182 to be part of the media filming and photographing this fantastic Speed Rally. Rob Jonkers sent me the results as follows, but once again it clear that the team of Mary de Klerk (navigator) and Phil Wakely (pilot) flying Phil’s Cessna 210 ZS CNY were well ahead of the game gaining slightly on their handicap speed. Thank you to everyone who took part as well as to the organisers, East Rand Aero Club, the judges, caterers and especially Johnty Esser who was the overall planning captain. The full results with pictures will be published in the January 2019 edition of African Pilot.
07 some of the line-up of aircraft at Springs.JPG
07 some of the line-up of aircraft at Springs.JPG (283.33 KiB) Viewed 182 times
06 Part of the Mach 1 Flying school team.JPG
06 Part of the Mach 1 Flying school team.JPG (307.13 KiB) Viewed 182 times
05 Mary de Klerk and Phil Wakely winners.JPG
05 Mary de Klerk and Phil Wakely winners.JPG (424.33 KiB) Viewed 182 times

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SAPFA Speed Rally at Springs airfield

Post by admin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 am